In 2005, about 1 in 320 households were affected by domestic violence (DV).2
On average between 2001 and 2005:
- DV represented 22% of nonfatal violent crimes against females age 12 or older, and 4% of nonfatal crimes against males.3
- Among females age 12 or older, those aged 20 to 24 were at the greatest risk of DV.4
- 96% of women experiencing DV were victimized by a man, 3% by another woman.
- 82% of men experiencing DV were victimized by women, about 16% by another man.5
- The annual per capita rate of DV was similar for black and white women and for Hispanic and non-Hispanic women and men, and higher for American Indian and Alaska Native women.6
Though the actual number of cases is impossible to estimate, Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Projects nationwide received 3,319 calls related to DV in 2007.7 Calls came from roughly equal numbers of men and women, and from twice as many transgender women as transgender men.
In 2005, 30% of stalking victims were stalked by a current or former intimate partner.8
In the mid-1990s, 59% of female stalking victims and 30% of male victims were stalked by a current or former intimate partner. 81% of women stalked by an intimate partner were also physically assaulted and 31% were also sexually assaulted by the same partner.9
In the US every year, about 18,700 incidents of violence in the workplace are committed by a worker’s current or former intimate partner.10
- Klaus, P. (2007). Crime and the Nation’s Households, 2005, Bureau of Justice Statistics, NCJ 217198.
- Catalano, S. (2007). Intimate partner violence in the US, Bureau of Justice Statistics, NCJ 210675.
- National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (2008). Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Domestic Violence in the United States in 2007.
- Baum, K., Catalano, S., Rand, M. & Rose, K. (2009). Stalking Victimization in the United States, Bureau of Justice Statistics, NCJ 224527.
- Tjaden, P. & Thoennes, N. (1998). Stalking in America: Findings From the National Violence Against Women Survey, National Institute of Justice, NCJ 169592.
- Duhart, D.T. (2001). Violence In The Workplace 1993-99, Bureau of Justice Statistics, NCJ 190076.